Tuesday, April 19, 2011

DIY Bookshelf

The first sunny day we had here I felt a crafty wave come over me. If you know me at all, you know that I am not a crafty person. Johnny, excited by my excitement, encouraged me to start a new project. I decided to learn to distress furniture and make it look darling. 

Steps:

#1 purchasing a $3.00 shelf at DI [the more hideous, the better]
#2 Sand it down and wipe it clean 
 #3 Prime it
#4 Paint it the color you like best (I chose Olympic's Pale Jade)
 #5 Distressing: Sand it down in areas where natural wear and tear would occur. 
(I love how in some areas the primer only shows through, and in others it is sanded all the way down to the wood.)
 #6 Pick out a lovely piece of paper & using spray adhesive, glue it to the shelf bottoms.
#7 Become giddy excited
 #8 Photograph
 #9 Repeat step #8
 #10 Enjoy those cherry blossoms, they're only around for so long. 


We hope our furniture is more distressed than you,

I&J

2 comments:

  1. Love it. Let those creative urges out. You must have learned that from your Grandma. Great job and have fun with it. Love ya both,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with them all this is really amazing and you are super talented. Nothing more to say.

    ReplyDelete